The batter for these muffins is exceptionally light and fluffy and the muffins bake up that way, too. Thre are no eggs included, just butter and buttermilk as the flavor carriers and binders, plus yeast to give the batter a boost in the oven. Diced apple, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon lend wonderful flavor and fragrance. Avoid overmixing and also overbaking; the muffins are intended to be on the softer side.
- 75 grams butter
- 100 grams sugar
- 225 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 225 milliliters buttermilk
- 100 grams diced apple
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- sugar (to taste)
- Begin by preparing the buttermilk:
- Add 225 ml of milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice and let to rest for 15 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line muffins molds with paper or grease with butter and put aside.
- Whisk the sugar with the butter in a bowl.
- Slowly add the flour with baking powder and the buttermilk.
- Engage smoothly.
- Mix the apples with the ginger powder and mix in the dough.
- Place the dough in small tins and sprinkle with a mixture of ginger, cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake until cooked.
- NOTE: The dough does not take eggs.
- The mixture sprinkled over the dough was not in the original recipe.
- The dough is super light and fluffy.