SnailsO Meu Tempero
You say snails, they (as the French) say escargot. But in Portugal these are considered an everyday snack since they are so inexpensive and readily available. Should you come across a source of snail, say at a gourmet grocer or a Portuguese food market, snatch them up and use them to prepare this authentic dish. Just be sure to give the snails a good washing in several changes of water until you no longer see any grit. Serve them warm with crusty bread and a cold one.
- 2 kilograms snails
- 100 grams bacon (cut into small cubes)
- 1 head garlic (garlic unpeeled and lightly crushed)
- 1 stem dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 cube chicken stock
- chili sauce (to taste)
- olive oil (to taste)
- 1Wash the snails, changing the water several times, until you see that they are perfectly clean.
- 2Place the snails in a large pot and cover with water until completely submerged.
- 3First of all place on a slow heat. Then increase the heat until it boils.
- 4Place the remaining ingredients, except the oil and allow to soak in. Turn off the heat.
- 5Sprinkle with a little of olive oil. Serve warm and with bread and a cold beer.