Want a deli-quality sandwich without all the fat? We start with fresh, fluffy sourdough slices and pile on pan-seared tofu. Then Pimenton aioli, caramelized onions, baby arugula, and tomatoes are added for the ultimate in club sandwich satisfaction. We pair this luscious sandwich with garlic potato wedges and the whole dish is low-calorie and seriously satisfying. EQUIPMENT Baking Sheet 3 Mixing Bowls Medium Pan
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 russet potato
- 1 tomato
- 13 ounces tofu (Extra Firm)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 ounces Vegenaise
- 4 sourdough bread (Vegan)
- 1/2 ounce baby arugula
- olive oil
- Prepare the Ingredients Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with foil or use a non-stick baking sheet. Thoroughly rinse produce and pat dry. Peel and thinly slice onion. Slice potato into fry-sized wedges. Slice tomato into thin rounds. Rinse and drain tofu, gently pressing out any additional liquid from the block. Cut tofu into 6-8 slices. Finely mince garlic.
- Prepare the Potato Wedges In a mixing bowl, combine potato wedges, half of the minced garlic, 1 tsp. olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to ensure wedges are completely coated with oil and spices. Spread wedges on baking sheet (avoiding overlap) and bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping midway through, or until browned and crisp. Remove from oven and allow wedges to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet to get crispy, then remove to a plate.
- Marinate and Cook the Tofu While potatoes are baking, combine liquid smoke, half of the smoked paprika, a pinch of salt and pepper, and 2 Tbsp. of water in a bowl. Add tofu and marinate for 10 minutes. Warm a medium pan with 1 tsp. olive oil over high heat. Remove tofu from marinade and pat dry. Add tofu slices to the hot pan, 3-4 at a time, and cook on each side for 5 minutes, or until sides are lightly charred. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Caramelize the Onions Wipe out the same pan as you cooked the tofu in and add the remaining tofu marinade liquid and the onion slices and cook over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions are tender and caramelized and liquid has reduced. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Plate the Dish Place toasted bread slices on a plate. Slather insides with aioli. Put 3-4 slices of tofu on one piece of bread. Top with caramelized onions, tomato slices, baby arugula, and top another piece of toasted bread. Arrange a pile of potato wedges next to sandwich. Use any remaining aioli for dip- ping the wedges!