Although well suited to accompany a summer barbecue meal, the aroma of these beans baking will welcome anyone coming in from the winter chill. These can make a meal with just the addition of cornbread, or serve them alongside Creole Baked Ham with C…
ne Syrup Sauce.
- 4 slices bacon (cooked crisp and crumbled)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (purchased)
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (omit if using smoky barbecue sauce)
- 16 ounces butter beans (rinsed and drained)
- 15 1/2 ounces kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 28 ounces pork and beans (undrained)
- Stir together all ingredients well in a large bowl. Place bean mixture in a 4-quart casserole. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F. oven until hot and bubbly, about 1- 1 1/4 hours.