- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (peeled and chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- 1 2/3 pounds spinach leaves (young)
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1/8 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 2/3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2/3 pound pasta dough (fresh home-made)
- 2/3 cup crème fraîche (or sour cream)
- 2/3 pound smoked salmon
- 6 roma tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tablespoon dill (fresh chopped)
- Heat the oil in a very large pan and fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 6-7 mins until softened. Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 mins until wilted. Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon the spinach into a colander set over a bowl and leave for 20 mins to allow the excess liquid to drain off.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan then stir in the flour and cook for 1 min. Gradually whisk in the stock and bring to a boil, whisking all the time, until thickened. Add the cream and half the cheese and simmer for 1 min. Season to taste. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the pasta dough on a lightly floured surface to 12 x 27 inch rectangle and spread the creme fraiche or sour cream on top. Add the smoked salmon then the drained spinach. Loosely roll up the pasta. Spread some of the cheese sauce in the base of a casserole dish and lay the pasta roll on top. Cover with the rest of the sauce and the remaining cheese and halved tomatoes.
- Bake for 35-40 mins until the sauce is golden and bubbling. Serve garnished with chopped dill.
PER SERVING *
|Calories580Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.