Very tasty and so #easy to make these #fishcakes make a comforting, #good-value #family meal.
- 500 grams potatoes (floury, peeled, cut into large chunks)
- 15 grams butter
- 350 grams smoked mackerel
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons dill (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour (for dusting)
- 15 grams butter (for frying)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (for frying)
- horseradish sauce
- 150 milliliters sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (grated or from a jar)
- 1/2 apple (peeled, cored and grated)
- Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and mash with the butter. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- Remove the skin and bones from the mackerel and break the flesh into large chunks. Combine with the potato, lemon juice, zest, dill, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- With wet hands form the mixture into eight cakes. Lightly dust with flour, place on a plate or tray and cover with clingfilm before refrigerating for 30 minutes to firm up (this makes the cakes easier to handle).
- Meanwhile gently combine sour cream with the rest of the ingredients. Set aside and keep in the fridge.
- Heat half the butter and oil and fry the cakes over a medium heat, four at a time, on both sides for 6 minutes on the first side, then about four on the other. Don't turn the cakes over until they have a nice crust. Keep warm.
- Serve with the horseradish and apple sauce and lemon wedges.
|Calories280Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.