Smoked Italian Crusted Pork RoastPork
Dennis Peters, Oklahoma City smoked to first place at the Oklahoma State Fair with this recipe. Serve with orzo pasta and steamed Italian veggies.
- 4 1/2 pounds pork loin roast (boneless)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (minced, 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (Italian-style)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1Rub pork roast with oil, then garlic. Sprinkle with basil and oregano. Place roast in large, resealable plastic bag; close to seal. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. One hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover.
- 2Drain wood chips. In a covered charcoal grill, prepare a medium-hot fire. Bank coals on both sides of grill. Place drip pan in center. Sprinkle 2 cups of the wood chips over the coals.
- 3Stir together bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in large baking pan or dish. Roll pork roast in crumb mixture, firmly pressing crumbs on surface. When chips begin to smoke, place roast in center of grill over drip pan. Cover and grill over indirect medium heat for 1 1/2 hours (20 minutes per pound) or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F., adding more briquettes, if necessary, to maintain an even grill temperature. Transfer pork roast to cutting board. Loosely cover with foil; let rest about 10 minutes before slicing.
PER SERVING *
|Calories280Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.