This salad is a delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors. Smoked duck breast and sweet figs are the main stars of this dish, but crisp lettuce and nutty walnuts bring it all together and add some much needed textural contrast. The figs are caramelized in butter and sugar for an extra hit of sweetness, while pomegranate molasses adds a bit of tartness. With all of these hearty ingredients, this salad makes for a filling lunch or dinner.
- 8 leaves lettuce heart (sucrine)
- 16 slices duck breast (smoked)
- olive oil
- 4 figs (sliced)
- 20 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate concentrate
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- Arrange the salad leaves on the plates with the duck slices.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and salt.
- Cut the figs into 4 slices each and sauté them in a pan with the butter for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with sugar. Keep heat on low-to-medium. The sugar will turn into a caramel. Caramelize the figs by pouring caramel over them.
- Off the heat, baste the figs with the concentrate and stir quickly. Place 4 fig's quarters on each plate and drizzle with the pan juices.
- Add pepper and the walnuts.