When you are trying to create the perfect upscale and fancy dinner party, it is best to pick the perfect palate pleasing way to start the meal. This recipe for Small Crunchy Pretzels for th Apertif is a tasty treat to start the dinner. Be sure to pick up these ingredients the next time you go shopping so you have them on hand when a friend decides there needs to be a fancy friend fiesta.
- 150 grams flour
- 5 grams yeast
- 3 grams salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 25 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 20 grams baking soda
- Mix the salt and the yeast together, then dissolve it in 3 ounces of warm water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour, stir, cover with a cloth and allow the for yeast to double in volume, about 40 minutes.
- In a shallow plate, add the softened butter to the remaining flour to which you'll add 3 cl of water.
- Knead this dough, then add the yeast.
- Knead again to form a smooth dough then cover with a damp cloth and let rest for about 2 hours for the dough to rise up. It will remain a little sticky.
- Flour your hands, take a dollop of dough and roll it between your hands to make a small snake of about 15 cm in length.
- Shape it into a pretzel.
- Place the pretzels on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Let stand for about 30 minutes so the dough hardens a bit.
- Boil a pan with 1 liter of water and the baking soda.
- Preheat the oven to 520°F.
- Carefully, place the pretzels in boiling water and then remove them with a slotted spoon as soon as they rise to the surface. Place them back on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and poppy seeds.
- Bake for about 6-7 minutes so that they are well-browned.
- You can keep them 3 days in an airtight container.