- 2 cups brown lentils (washed and picked over if needed)
- 8 cups vegetable stock (or more)
- 1 onion (medium, diced small)
- 1 cup chopped celery (chopped into fairly small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon greek seasoning (I use The Spice House Greektown Billygoat Seasoning, but there are a few good brands.)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Greek or Turkish oregano)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice (petite)
- 1 bunch spinach leaves (stems cut off, chopped and washed)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh-squeezed, or a little less if you're not that into lemon)
- crumbled feta cheese (for serving, optional, but good)
PER SERVING *
|Calories220Calories from Fat10|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat10|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Heidi Ortloff 5 Aug
Tasty soup that was inexpensive and easy to make. I loved the addition of feta on top.
Jennifer L. 1 Jun
I really enjoyed this but I did use more of the spices and herbs then called for to add extra flavour. Quite tasty and makes a great lunch the next day.
M F. 31 Oct 2017
Full of flavor. My daughters never had lentil soup before so I was a little worried that it wouldn't be something they would enjoy. This recipe hit it out of the ball park! They loved it! We enjoyed tossing the feta cheese on top. It was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
AudreyPaisley 9 Jan 2017
Solid but slightly boring. Decent lentil soup recipe, more spinach would be nice, as well as using fresh plum tomatoes and fresh herbs, especially dill.