- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 1/4 pounds boneless pot roast
- 4 sliced carrots
- 4 sliced potatoes (medium, (about 2 lbs ), cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 envelopes Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Onion Soup Mix
- 3/4 cup water
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown roast.
- Combine Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Onion Soup Mix with water in glass measuring cup. Add to skillet, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Add soup mixture to slow cooker. Cook covered on Low 8 to 10 hours or HIGH 4 to 6 hours. Remove roast and vegetables to serving platter.
- Thicken gravy, if desired, by combining additional 1/4 cup water with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Cook on HIGH 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Arrange carrots and potatoes in slow cooker. Top with roast and set aside.
Rosemarie Asaro 25 Feb
I like to add a half cup of red wine to the recipe. You can add flour to make a thicker gravy but I like a lighter gravy.
Jared B. 5 Feb 2017
This is a great recipe for a delicious, simple pot roast. It's good as is, but I often add brown gravy for serving it.
Martha R. 3 Aug 2016
I've made this for years. An excellent way to use the leftovers is to make a soup with beef broth AND tomato juice added to meat and juices. You may then add any vegetables, but I use onions, carrots, potatoes, zucchini (if I have it), and sliced cabbage (important). I prepare these vegetables as I do for minestrone: I sauté each for three minutes in a little olive oil, adding the cabbage last and sautéing it last for six minutes. I add that to the soup mixture and then add a small can of corn, a can of tomatoes, and a can of beans (garbanzo or white beans). Then I simmer for about 30 minutes. I like this soup thin, but simmer longer if you like it thicker. It makes tons and freezes well.
Greg L. 9 Feb 2016
Always a favorite, this makes the best gravy and is wonderfully flavored. The beef is tender and juicy always!
Louistean A. 1 Dec 2015
I cut recipe in half and I did add one small whole onion to recipe. Cooking for only two. I'm sure this will be a recipe I will use a lot. I know it will be good.
Sharon D. 24 Aug 2015
This is my "go to" pot roast recipe. I put rough cut onion, celery and carrots in the bottom of the crock pot, add the browned roast and water with soup mix. I only use one package of Onion Soup Mix. After cooking I strain the liquid, discard the vegetables and thicken for gravy as directed. I oven roast my side dish vegetables separately because we like a crisp tender finish on them. Always so tender and well flavored!