Slow-cooked Roast ChickenL'Antro dell'Alchimista
The humble chicken gets treated royally in this main course: it's stuffed with citrus, garlic and sweet bell pepper. Cooked slow and low in the slow cooker, it's based with a mxture of fresh-squeezed citrus juice and port wine while cooking. Be sure to elevate the chicken atop balls of foil when cooking it for six hours. Since the skin won't get crispy in the slow cooker, transfer it to the broiler for a few minutes before carving and serving the meat.
- 1 whole chicken
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 orange (or lemon)
- poultry seasoning
- 1 yellow bell pepper (seeded and cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 1 garlic cloves (peeled and cut in half)
- 1Wash the chicken well and dry with paper towel.
- 2Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with seasoning inside and out.
- 3Cut the citrus in half; squeeze the juice of one half and mix with the wine.
- 4Place the remaining citrus half inside the chicken together with the garlic and a few strips of bell pepper.
- 5Line the slow cooker with aluminium foil, allowing the edges of the pan to be covered. Make two balls of aluminium foil, the size of a lemon, and place in the bottom of the pan so as to raise the chicken during cooking.
- 6Place the chicken upon the aluminium balls, baste with the orange juice and decorate with strips of pepper.
- 7Cover and cook for 6 hours on low.
- 8For a crispy finish, remove from slow cooker and place in an oven dish under an oven broiler set to high for a few minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories350Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.