You can’t beat a refreshing slaw with ribs — one with a little sweetness from apples, oranges, or raisins would be nice with this recipe. It’d also be good with oven fries alongside. To make the dish your own, try using cola instead of root beer, or serve the ribs garnished with thin slivers of red onion.
- 2 spare ribs (racks St. Louis, 2 1/3 to 3 pounds each, cut into 3- or 4-rib sections)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 cups root beer (not diet, divided)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch (dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water)
- Combine sugar, chili powder, salt, onion powder and allspice in medium bowl. Set aside half the spice mixture (about 1/3 cup.); sprinkle the rest over both sides of ribs. Pour 1/2 cup root beer into slow cooker and add ribs. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or on high for 3 1/2-4 hours, until ribs are very tender.
- With 10 minutes left on ribs, combine remaining root beer and reserved spice mixture in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens, just a few seconds. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Remove ribs to platter and cover. Strain the cooking liquid and pour off fat. Add 1/3 cup remaining liquid to sauce; stir until smooth.
- Brush ribs with sauce, serve with remaining sauce on side.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories80Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes