- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (medium, diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (mild or hot to preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dal (Red Lentil, washed and rinsed thoroughly)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- salt (to taste)
PER SERVING *
|Calories440Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Helen 6 days ago
I’ve made this twice now and will continue to. It hits all bases for me: healthy, plant based, yum
Jennifer 20 Oct
Delicious! This a great recipe. Healthy and flavorful
Firdaus Omar 20 Oct
The rich taste of this recipe trump the other curry dhal from around the corner at my place so thumbs up and definitely going to do it again!
Jess C. 5 Sep
this is a firm favorite of mine, make it at least twice a month
Jennifer Welsh 4 Jan
Would make this again and again, and again. REALLY good!!! I didn't have celery, but didn't miss it.
Lisa Enyeart Evenson 29 Oct 2017
Have prepared this recipe several times as a meatless Monday meal and love it !! .. Even my picky eater likes this soup. I serve a nice green salad and dinner rolls or everybody's favorite grilled cheese to make it a complete meal ..
Marie V. 18 Feb 2016
So good! Very fragrant and tasty. Will definitely make it again and again, a definite favorite. Shared with friends and felt like I was treating them to something magnificent!