- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 2 to 3-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 3 cups chopped onion (roughly)
- 5 plum tomatoes (cored and chopped)
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (individual, finely chopped, from 7-ounce can*)
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands Minced Garlic
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- Pat chicken dry using paper towels.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the chicken to skillet and cook until lightly brown on one side, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and onions to skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add to slow cooker with tomatoes, chipotles, garlic and chicken broth. Mix well.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on HIGH or 4 to 6 hours on LOW.
- The Tinga Chicken is ready when the chicken is tender and can be easily pulled apart. Shred chicken pieces using two forks. Serve Tinga with warm tortillas or crisp tostadas and arrange toppings in small bowls. Top as desired.
Sarah P. 26 Feb 2016
This was really good! It's nice for a crock pot day. We love Mexican food but there are not too many crock pot meals that fit that category. I'll make it again for sure.