A great soup for casual entertaining. Put garnishes in small individual bowls and let guests embellish the soup to their choosing.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-1/2 to 2-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 1 onion (medium, diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper (small, seeded and minced)
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- 2 quarts water
- 28 ounces yellow hominy (or white, drained)
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands Oregano
- 1 Spice Islands Bay Leaves (each)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Mexican cheese
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and brown lightly, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions to skillet.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Stir in garlic, minced chile and bouillon powder; continue cooking 1 minute.
- Pour in 1 cup water and stir well.
- Remove from heat and pour into slow cooker.
- Add remaining water, hominy, oregano, bay leaf and lime juice.
- Cover and heat for 4 to 6 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH.
- The soup is ready when the chicken is tender and can be easily pulled apart.
- Shred chicken using two forks to pull apart.
|Calories250Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.