Slow Cooked Pork Belly with Hoisen, Scallion Pancake and Cilantro SaladPORK
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kevin Rathbun of Rathbun’s Atlanta, Ga. Created for the Share Our Strength's Taste Of The Nation.
- 2 1/2 lb. pork belly
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger root (grated)
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic (minced, 6 cloves)
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves (lightly packed, 1/2 to 3/4 ounce)
- 1/4 red onion (small, cut into fine julienne strips)
- 1/3 cup scallions (thinly bias-cut)
- 2 Tbsp. seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 flour tortillas (4-inch)
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- serrano chiles (sliced for spice, optional)
- Place pork belly in large, resealable plastic bag. Mix together water, oyster sauce, ginger root, 2 tablespoons cilantro and the garlic in small bowl. Pour marinade mixture over pork belly; close bag to seal. Turn bag to evenly coat pork belly with marinade. Refrigerate for 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Remove pork belly from marinade; discard marinade in bag. Place pork belly on rack in Dutch oven. Bake, covered, about 4 hours or until tender. Transfer pork belly to plate; discard fat. Cover and refrigerate pork belly until firm.
- Just before serving, cut chilled pork belly into 2 ounce slices. Place slices in a single layer in a large skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown and crisp on both sides. If necessary, spoon and discard drippings in skillet if splattering begins.
- Meanwhile, just before serving, in a medium bowl mix 1 1/2 cup cilantro, red onion and scallions. Combine rice vinegar, sesame oil and salt; pour over cilantro mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- To assemble, place tortillas on dinner plate, slightly overlapping. Cover with damp paper towel. Microwave on HIGH about 30 seconds or until warm. Brush one side of tortillas with hoisin sauce. Place hot pork belly slice on top of tortilla. Top with cilantro slaw and serve like an open faced taco.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories920Calories from Fat720|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat720|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes