Slow Cooked Pork Belly with Hoisen, Scallion Pancake and Cilantro SaladPork
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kevin Rathbun of Rathbun’s Atlanta, Ga. Created for the Share Our Strength's Taste Of The Nation.
- 2 1/2 pounds pork belly
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root (grated)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced, 6 cloves)
- 8 flour tortillas (4-inch)
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves (lightly packed, 1/2 to 3/4 ounce)
- 1/4 red onion (small, cut into fine julienne strips)
- 1/3 cup scallions (thinly bias-cut)
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Place pork belly in large, resealable plastic bag. Mix together water, oyster sauce, gingerroot, 2 tablespoons cilantro and the garlic in small bowl. Pour marinade mixture over pork belly; close bag to seal. Turn bag to evenly coat pork belly with marinade. Refrigerate for 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- 2Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Remove pork belly from marinade; discard marinade in bag. Place pork belly on rack in Dutch oven. Bake, covered, about 4 hours or until tender. Transfer pork belly to plate; discard fat. Cover and refrigerate pork belly until firm.
- 3Just before serving, cut chilled pork belly into 2 ounce slices. Place slices in a single layer in a large skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown and crisp on both sides. If necessary, spoon and discard drippings in skillet if splattering begins.
- 4Meanwhile, just before serving, in a medium bowl mix cilantro, red onion and scallions. Combine rice vinegar, sesame oil and salt; pour over cilantro mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- 5To assemble, place tortillas on dinner plate, slightly overlapping. Cover with damp paper towel. Microwave on HIGH about 30 seconds or until warm. Brush one side of tortillas with hoisin sauce. Place hot pork belly slice on top of tortilla. Top with cilantro slaw and serve like an open faced taco.
PER SERVING *
|Calories920Calories from Fat720|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat720|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.