- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 onion (large, peeled and chopped coarsely)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 ounces whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (halved)
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons butter (cold, chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup aged cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the beef, in batches, until browned. Transfer to a 4.5-quart slow cooker.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pan and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the onion softens. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, stock, wine and thyme to the pan and bring to a boil. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and add the mushrooms.
- Cook, covered, on low, for 7 hours. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, place the flour in a medium bowl and rub in the butter. Add half of the parsley and half of the cheese and stir to combine. Stir in enough buttermilk to make a soft, sticky dough. Next, drop rounded tablespoons of the dumpling mixture, 1/2 inch apart, on top of the casserole, then scatter with the remaining cheese. Cook, covered, for 1 hour or until dumplings are cooked through. Scatter with remaining parsley to serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories260Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Alicia 10 Aug 2017
Yummy!! Perfect with mash