- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14 ounces pork neck
- 1 red onion (large, cut into thin wedges)
- 2 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 whole star anise
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons salt (reduced soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pound pumpkin (peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- greens (steamed Asian, to serve)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat oil in a 4-cup flameproof and ovenproof dish over moderate heat. Add pork and cook for 2-3 mins or until seared. Transfer pork to a heatproof plate.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger and star anise to dish and cook, stirring, for 3 mins. Return pork to dish. Add stock, sherry, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake for 1 hour 45 mins or until pork is very tender. Remove from oven. Stand for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, place pumpkin in large microwave-safe dish. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 4 mins or until tender. Stand tor 3 mins. Drain and return to dish. Add butter and season with salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
- Remove pork from dish. Slice pork thickly. Spoon mashed pumpkin onto serving plates. Top with Asian greens and pork. Drizzle with cooking liquid. Serve.