- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 43 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 onion (peeled and halved)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (OR 1/8 teaspoon dried)
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- 12 ounces egg noodles (frozen, divided into thirds)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 1 parsnip (diced)
- 2 turnips (diced)
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill (finely chopped)
- Place pork in 4-quart saucepan along with chicken broth, whole onions, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, 2 tablespoons dill, salt and pepper; add enough water to cover pork cubes, if necessary. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make Egg Noodles. With a slotted spoon, remove pork cubes from simmering broth and reserve. Strain broth, discarding vegetables, herbs and other solids; keep warm.
- Place a third each of the chopped onion, celery, carrots, parsnip, turnips and pork in a 5-6 quart heavy pot or Dutch oven. Mix lightly; top with a layer of noodles. Repeat procedures until there are three layers in the pot. Add heated chicken broth to cover, tilting pot to distribute broth evenly. Heat layered mixture over medium heat until liquid begins to boil; reduce heat. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat 1 hour. Sprinkle with chopped dill; serve in soup bowls.
- In large bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups flours and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 2 beaten eggs; blend with a fork until soft dough is formed. Scrape dough onto a floured board; knead 10 minutes, adding more flour if necessary. Cover with a towel. Let stand 30 minutes. Roll out dough as thinly as possible; cut in 4-inch squares and place on lightly greased waxed paper until ready to use.