In this quick and easy take on traditional lasagna, sliced bread replaces the usual noodles, for a result that’s more akin to a savory bread pudding, with the bread soaking up the juices from the other components during baking. Here, the bread is la…
ered with simply seasoned diced tomatoes (in lieu of a cooked tomato sauce), chopped ham and mozzarella, and grated Parmesan cheese, and then the whole thing is doused with beaten eggs with milk and cream (in lieu of a cooked béchamel sauce).
- 15 ounces diced tomato
- dried oregano
- extra virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper
- cooked ham
- mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 milliliters cream
- 50 milliliters milk
- parmesan cheese
- 1 square bread
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, season the tomato with a little olive oil, and a pinch each of salt, black pepper, and oregano.
- Coarsely chop the ham and mix with mozzarella cheese. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with cream and milk. Set aside.
- Cut the crusts from the bread slices and carefully place in a rectangular oven-proof dish. (Keep the crusts to use elsewhere)
- Arrange the bread slices close together so as to cover the whole base. Cut to size, if necessary, ensuring no gaps.
- Cover the bread with a layer of tomato mixture, half the mozzarella and ham, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place another layer of bread and repeat the process above with the remaining mozzarella and ham.
- Add final layer of bread and tomato. Then pour over the egg mixture to completely cover the top and sides.
- Finish off with a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
- Cook for about 20 minutes. Then place under a broiler for 7 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
- The lasagna should be soft inside and crunchy outside. Cool before serving.