These scalloped potatoes save you calories and fat, without sacrificing flavor or creaminess!
- 1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1/4 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ounces shredded lite mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Spray a 9” square casserole dish liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice the potatoes uniformly between 1/8” and 1/4” thick. Arrange the slices in the pan in rows, slightly overlapping one another. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add the flour. Whisk to thoroughly combine. Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes, until the roux turns slightly golden and begins to smell toasty. Slowly stream half the milk into the pot while continuing to whisk. Add the greek yogurt and whisk to combine. Stream in the remaining milk.
- Cook the mixture, whisking steadily for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to thicken and bubble.
- Once bubbling, turn off the heat. Add the garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Add the shredded cheese to the pot, whisking slowly until it melts into a smooth sauce.
- Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the potatoes, smoothing it into the crevices with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the baking dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the scalloped potatoes for 45-50 minutes, until bubbling and browned on the top.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Allow the dish to cool for ten minutes before serving.