An easy, healthy, make-ahead breakfast, lunch, or dinner option that pleases kids and adults alike! This Skinny Mexican Breakfast Casserole is packed with flavor, protein, veggies, and CHEESE! It’s a delicious and nutritious way to indulge your cravings for zesty South of the Border brunch fare at any time of day.
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef (cooked and drained)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (reduced-fat Mexican blend, divided)
- 9 corn tortillas
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together ground beef and taco seasoning. Add red pepper, green onions, and 1 cup of the cheese. Toss together.
- In a separate large bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, and milk with a whisk until combined.
- Place 3 tortillas in the bottom of your prepared casserole dish, tearing if needed to fit the bottom of the dish.
- Top the tortillas with half of the beef mixture. Layer 3 more tortillas on top, then top those tortillas with the remaining beef mixture. Top that layer with the 3 remaining tortillas. Pour egg mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Cover casserole tightly and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the center is set. Remove the cover and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes to allow the cheese on top to brown and crisp slightly.
- Serve with salsa or diced tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, or guacamole.
PER SERVING *
|Calories240Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.