Skillet Pork StewPork
Hearty and loaded with popular winter vegetables, this stovetop stew has appeal on a blustery winter day. If desired, top the simmering stew with dumplings-- made easy with a tube of refrigerated biscuits. Or simply serve with warm dinner rolls.
- 2 blade pork steaks (about 1 1/2 pounds total, trimmed, boned,cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 butternut squash (medium, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 21 3/4 ounces chicken broth (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces pearl onions (frozen, whole)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 broccoli florets
- 1 package refrigerated biscuits (optional)
- 1Heat oil over medium-high heat in deep 10-inch skillet; add mushrooms, sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add pork to skillet; sauté until pieces are evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Add squash, broth, salt and pepper; heat to boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. In small bowl, combine cornstarch and water, stirring to blend thoroughly. Stir cornstarch mixture into skillet; add onions, heat to boiling; reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir broccoli into skillet, cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer until all vegetables are tender. If desired, top simmering stew with refrigerated biscuits after stirring in broccoli, cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through.
PER SERVING *
|Calories430Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.