Six Layer Breakfast CasseroleJIMMY DEAN
Making a six-layer casserole sounds absolutely gravity-defying! The truth is, Tex-Mex cuisine is ripe for this amount of layering because most ingredients that go into making these recipes pair so well together…
You know right off the bat this is going to be a deliciously filling meal. Our spicy six-layer breakfast casserole calls for peppers, garlic, hot pork sausage, sharp cheddar cheese, and eggs, plus spices like ground cumin — a staple for Tex-Mex cooking! It’s a perfectly balanced dish that you can eat on its own. But even though the recipe has the word “breakfast” in its name, that doesn’t mean you can’t be spontaneous. This six-layer casserole can also make a great party appetizer, lunch, or even a family dinner. Just don’t forget to serve alongside a bowl of tortilla chips.
If you’re wondering whether this recipe can be any more flavorful, it absolutely can! Jimmy Dean sausages come in an array of flavors. There’s even a Premium Reduced Fat Pork Sausage if you’re worried about all that cheese and cream. And if you want to tinker with the heat levels, consider using the mildly spicy Jimmy Dean® Regular Premium Pork Sausage instead.
There are not a lot of rules to follow with a recipe as decadent as a six-layer casserole. Our only suggestion is to be sure the family wakes up with an empty stomach!
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Cook sausage, pepper and garlic in large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain. Return sausage mixture to skillet. Stir in cheese.
- Place 1 bread slice on bottom of lightly greased 1-½-quart round casserole or soufflé dish; top with ⅓ of the sausage mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Beat eggs, cream and cumin in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended; pour over ingredients in casserole dish. Press down on sausage mixture with back of spatula to completely cover sausage and bread with egg mixture; cover. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean, uncovering after 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Make Ahead: Assemble as directed. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, bake as directed.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories300Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.