Sinful Almond DessertMarmita
Despite its name, this creamy dessert is surprisingly wholesome, getting its richness and velvety smooth consistency from egg yolks and milk rather than heavy cream. Ground almonds, or almond meal, gives it wonderful flavor and helps to thicken it even more. Grated lime zest and cinnamon are the only seasonings needed. It all starts by making a quick caramel with water and dark brown sugar, and this also lends the custard incredible depth. Serve chilled, preferably after being refrigerated overnight.
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 deciliters water
- 300 grams dark brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 200 grams ground almonds (shelled and unshelled)
- 1 lime (zest)
- 5 deciliters milk
- 1In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks.
- 2In a saucepan on medium heat, add the water, sugar, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat until you have a golden syrup.
- 3Add the almonds and lime zest and stir until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 4Stir the milk in gradually.
- 5Beat the egg yolks, then add to the milk mixture.
- 6Bring to a boil again on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 7Pour into a serving dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 8Garnish with ground almonds.