- 4 pounds pork loin (center roast, boneless,, untied, fat and silver skin trimmed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 9 slices bacon
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (purchased)
- 1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.
- 2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate and cool for 10 minutes.
- 3. Wrap bacon slices vertically around pork roast; do not overlap bacon. Tie lengthwise and crosswise with kitchen string to hold bacon in place; tuck loose ends of bacon under string. Place on a rack in a roasting pan, tucked-bacon side down.
- 4. Roast on rack for 15 minutes. Turn pork over and reduce temperature to 350ºF and roast for 15 minutes. Remove rack and return pork to pan, tucked-end side up. Roast, turning occasionally until bacon is browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the roast reads 145ºF, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 5. Skim fat from pan juices, leaving browned juices in pan.
- 6. Add barbecue sauce and preferred ingredient (*see below) and bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring to loosen browned bits in pan; simmer 2 minutes.
- 7. Remove strings, carve pork, and serve with sauce.