To make these delightful squares, all you need is flour, milk, oil, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and apples, which you are likely to have on hand. The dough comes together quickly, and it's easy work to roll it out and assemble the "cake" by layering one half of dough with cinnamon-sugar, apple slices, more cinnamon-sugar, and remaining dough half. Cut into squares, bake, and serve.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 apples (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the flour on a work surface, make a well in the middle, and slowly add milk, oil, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well by hand, adding more flour if necessary until obtaining a soft mixture.
- Divide dough in half.
- Line a greased and floured rectangular baking dish with one of the halves.
- Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon evenly on top of the dough.
- Add a layer of apple slices on top, packed very tightly, and sprinkle a little more sugar and cinnamon on top of the apples.
- Spread the other half of the dough on top of the apples, and top off with a little more sugar and cinnamon.
- Before baking, cut the cake in squares with a knife.
- Bake for 25 minutes.