Simnel CakeOn dine chez Nanou
This recipe for Simnel Cake is decadent and divine. Traditionally, this cake is a light fruit cake that has layers of almond paste or marzipan that is eaten during the Easter period in the United Kingdom and Ireland. This recipe takes 105 minutes to create, so make sure you have time to prepare them before the big event. Everyone will love the sweetness of these treasured treats. We hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 75 grams chopped almonds
- 350 grams raisins (Smyre)
- 350 grams raisins (Corinth)
- 350 grams raisins (Malaga)
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 30 milliliters whisky
- 700 grams almond paste
- 225 grams softened butter
- 225 grams brown sugar
- 6 eggs (plus 1 for glazing)
- 275 grams flour
- 50 grams ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon spices
- 1 apples
- 100 grams candied cherries
- 100 grams orange peel
- 75 grams candied ginger
- 1Line cake pans with parchment paper.
- 2In a large bowl combine almonds, raisins, candied cherries, candied orange peel, candied ginger, zests and whiskey. Marinate for 1 hour.
- 3Knead the almond paste to make it more flexible and then roll it out with a rolling pin.
- 4Cut 2 circles of almond paste the size of your mold (1 cm thick) and for 11 small balls to decorate the top.
- 5Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 6With an electric mixer, beat the butter to make it softer, add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- 7Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 8Add flour, ground almonds and ground spices.
- 9Wash, peel and grate the apple, add it to the mixture.
- 10Add the soaked dried fruits and stir gently.
- 11Pour half of the batter into a cake pan, top with a layer of almond paste.
- 12Cover the cake withe the remaining batter.
- 13Cover the surface with parchment paper.
- 14Bake it for about 1 hour.
- 15Lower the oven temperature to 170 C and keep baking for about 2- 2.5 hours, until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- 16Let the cake cool down.
- 17Preheat oven at 200 C.
- 18Separate the remaining egg.
- 19Brush the cold cake with the beaten egg white.
- 20Remove the almond marzipan disc to cover the cake.
- 21Press lightly with the palm of the hand.
- 22Brush the circle with the beaten egg yolk diluted with 1 teaspoon of water.
- 23Glaze each marzipan ball with a brush and then place it gently on top of the cake.
- 24Bake for 15 to 20 minutes to make it colorful.
- 25Let it cool down before serving.