- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (reduced-sodium)
- 1 onions (medium, chopped)
- 1 piece fresh ginger root (peeled and thinly sliced into rounds)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed with garlic press)
- 2 orange peel (3" by 3/4" each strips)
- 1 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 pound baby carrots (peeled)
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (well-trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, See Tip)
- 20 ounces frozen broccoli florets (thawed)
- In 6- to 61/2-quart slow-cooker bowl, combine brown sugar, sherry, vinegar, and 1/4 cup soy sauce. Stir in onion, ginger, garlic, orange peel, cinnamon, star anise, and carrots. Top with pork; do not stir. Cover slow cooker and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- When pork has cooked 8 hours, uncover and stir in broccoli. Cover and cook until broccoli is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon and star anise. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- TIP: Trim meat well to yield 4 pounds of solid meat. For a leaner option, substitute pork shoulder with a loin roast.