Shrimp and Potato TartLa Cocina de Babel
Inspired by the flavors of the Maghreb region, this shrimp and potato tart draws its specific inspiration from Tunisian cuisine. Layers of flaky phyllo dough encapsulate a savory shrimp and potato filling that features saffron and parsley as its spices of choice. Buttery and smooth with plenty of parmesan for a creamy finish, this shrimp and potato tart is flaky and oh so tasty. Preparation of the filling is intended for a dutch oven. The tart itself is assembled in a springform pan.
- 2 potatoes (medium, peeled and cubed)
- 1 onions (diced)
- 100 grams butter
- 1 pinch saffron (or turmeric)
- 250 milliliters water
- 2 slices white sandwich bread (toasted and blended)
- 2 eggs
- 150 grams parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (diced)
- 400 grams large shrimp (peeled)
- ground black pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- olive oil
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
- 1In a Dutch oven, add the potatoes, onion, butter, saffron, and 250 milliliters of water. Season and cook on low heat until softened. Drain everything and mash them. Set aside.
- 2Once cooled, add in the bread crumbs, eggs, cheese, parsley, and shrimp. Mix well and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 4In a springform pan, add a sheet of phyllo pastry making sure it comes up the sides of the pan. Baste with olive oil. Repeat with 3 other sheets.
- 5Add the filling leaving a 1 centimeter border on all sides.
- 6Top with another sheet of phyllo pastry tucking the ends into the border created. Baste with olive oil and repeat with 3 other sheets.
- 7Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- 8Bake 15 minutes until golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories650Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.