Inspired by the flavors of the Maghreb region, this shrimp and potato tart draws its specific inspiration from Tunisian cuisine. Layers of flaky phyllo dough encapsulate a savory shrimp and potato filling that features saffron and parsley as its spices of choice. Buttery and smooth with plenty of parmesan for a creamy finish, this shrimp and potato tart is flaky and oh so tasty. Preparation of the filling is intended for a dutch oven. The tart itself is assembled in a springform pan.
- 2 potatoes (medium, peeled and cubed)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 100 grams butter
- 1 pinch saffron (or turmeric)
- 250 milliliters water
- 2 slices white sandwich bread (toasted and blended)
- 2 eggs
- 150 grams parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (diced)
- 400 grams large shrimp (peeled)
- ground black pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- olive oil
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
- In a Dutch oven, add the potatoes, onion, butter, saffron, and 250 milliliters of water. Season and cook on low heat until softened. Drain everything and mash them. Set aside.
- Once cooled, add in the bread crumbs, eggs, cheese, parsley, and shrimp. Mix well and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a springform pan, add a sheet of phyllo pastry making sure it comes up the sides of the pan. Baste with olive oil. Repeat with 3 other sheets.
- Add the filling leaving a 1 centimeter border on all sides.
- Top with another sheet of phyllo pastry tucking the ends into the border created. Baste with olive oil and repeat with 3 other sheets.
- Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories650Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.