Shrimp is a quick cooking option for weeknight meals. Here the popular shellfish is used in a coconut curry, with bacon added for a hit of smoky flavor. It can be ready in a flash of the pan, with cooked rice as the essential side kick. Although optional, chutney is a traditional condiment for curries (and you can use the rest on sandwiches or to flavor marinades). Any flavor will do, though mango or tomato chutney is especially authentic.
- 1 piece bacon (cubed)
- olive oil
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 coconut milk
- 1.5 kilograms shrimp (peeled and cooked)
- 3 tablespoons curry
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 250 milliliters whole milk
- Fry bacon in a large pan.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to hot pan and sauté onion, and garlic until translucent.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp.
- In a small bowl, dissolve curry and cornstarch in milk and add to shrimp mixture.
- Bring to a boil, so shrimp infuses with curry flavor.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve with white rice and chutney, to taste.