Shrimp Bisque and CornbreadOn dine chez Nanou
Cold winter days are the reason bisques were created. Comfort food at its best, this velvety, red, creamy broth is infused with pungent flavors of the sea. Pleasant to both look at and eat, this dish can be served in various forms. Sweet cornbread captivates the savory soup and salty shrimp. Use a paring knife to clean and de-shell the shrimp before cleaning with water and cooking to precision.
- 175 grams corn flour
- 130 grams white flour (wheat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 115 grams melted butter
- 220 milliliters milk (fermented)
- 3 eggs
- 24 shrimp (frozen, thawed and unshelled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 150 grams white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Pepper Sauce
- bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 liter fish broth
- heavy cream (25 cl.)
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 125 grams whole kernel corn (canned)
- 1Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- 2Start preparing the bread.
- 3Pour corn flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- 4In another bowl mix the melted butter with milk, and eggs. Add to the first bowl and mix.
- 5In a buttered pan (about 25 centimeter diameter), pour the mix. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- 6Shell and devein the shrimp and remove heads. Set the shells and heads aside.
- 7In a casserole or large saucepan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil.
- 8Fry the shrimp's shells and heads with the diced onion and carrots for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 9Add the white wine, stir, and cook for 3 minutes.
- 10Add the tomato paste, 1 teaspoon of Tabasco, the bay leaves, 2 sprigs of thyme. Cover everything with a liter of fish stock, salt, and cover with a lid. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 11Filter to remove vegetables and shells.
- 12Collect the broth. Put it in your pan and add the cream. Bring to boil and add the cornstarch to thicken the bisque.
- 13Plunge the shrimp for 2/3 minutes to cook.
- 14Distribute Bisque on 4 plates, add the shrimp and corn kernels.
- 15Chop some chive and add it to each plate.
PER SERVING *
|Calories820Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.