Shredded Pork With Roasted Tomatoes & Chipotle PeppersPork
Simmer on the stovetop during the day and have ready as part of a buffet for the big game or next party.
- 2 boneless pork shoulder (cut into 3-inch chunks)
- 1 white onion (small, quartered)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil (plus additonal oil for roasting tomatoes)
- 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 ounces Mexican-style pork chorizo sausage (cooked and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 ounces chipotles in adobo (pureed)
- salt (to taste)
- 32 corn tortillas (small fried)
- 1/2 cup crema (Mexican cream)
- 1 avocado (ripe, cut up)
- 1Place pork, onion and garlic in 2-quart sauce pot; cover completely with water and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Drain meat (discard garlic and onion). When cool enough to handle, remove bones, shred pork and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 2Cut tomatoes in half and discard stems and seeds. Place in shallow pan and brush with oil. Roast in 375 degrees F oven 20 to 30 minutes or until tomato skins slip off easily. Discard skins and chop tomatoes.
- 3Heat oil in medium skillet. Cook and stir onion and garlic over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until tomatoes are very saucy. Add remaining sauce ingredients and shredded pork and simmer 2 to 3 more minutes or until mixture is well blended and heated through.
- 4Serve hot meat mixture on tostaditas with crema and avocado.
PER SERVING *
|Calories140Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.