Bake an entire batch of egg-in-a-holes in your oven instead of fussing over a stovetop!
- 4 slices thick-cut bread
- 2 tablespoons butter (well softened)
- 4 eggs
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Spread each slice of bread with 1.5 tsp. of softened butter, dividing it over both sides.
- Arrange the bread slices onto the baking sheet.
- Using a 3” round cookie cutter, cut a hole from the center of each bread slice. Arrange the “holes” in the empty spaces on the baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the bread for 7-8 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom.
- Flip the bread slices and carefully crack an egg into the center of each.
- Continue baking for 8-10 minutes longer, until the bread is browned at the edges and the eggs are set.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Sprinkle the eggs with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories130Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Normalinda P. 16 Jun
This is called "Bread Egg" and is a very old recipe, or it is in our house! You can grill the cut out part at the same time your doing the egg and when you serve, serve the cut out with jelly, cream cheese or just a touch of butter. My kids love them!! Enjoy!! :)
Barnes 11 Jun
its much easier to make in a frying pan and takes much less time, but it tastes great with cinnamon sugar!