If you're looking for new ways to prepare chicken breasts, try this fresh and easy Italian-inspired dinner.
- 24 ounces chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large tomato
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 4 leaves basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pat dry chicken with paper towels. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and black pepper.
- Place the melted butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Brush the chicken on both sides with the garlic-herb butter, and arrange on one side of the baking sheet.
- Trim the rough ends from the asparagus spears and place in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon olive olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss the asparagus to evenly coat with the oil, and arrange on the other side of the baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the chicken and asparagus for 12 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, slice the tomato 1/4” thick. Slice the mozzarella ball into rounds a generous 1/4” thick.
- After 12 minutes, open the oven door. Place 2-3 tomato slices over each chicken breast. Lay 2-3 mozzarella rounds over the tomatoes. With a rubber spatula, gently toss the asparagus.
- Continue baking for 8-10 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through and the mozzarella is melted. The internal temperature of the chicken should read 165° F Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Stack the basil leaves on top of each other and roll into a tight log. With a sharp knife, make very thin slices across the log, creating ribbons of basil.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the chicken breasts. Garnish with the fresh basil ribbons, and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Plate the chicken and asparagus, and serve immediately.
|Calories310Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Hank Hill 11 Feb
A couple minor adjustments. Thin sliced the chicken. Put the basil shreds on the chicken and “beat” it in with a kitchen mallet. Soaked my tomato slices in balsamic. Used the broiler to brown the mozzarella. Then served on ciabatta with a yoghurt garlic spread. No asparagus.
Brent A. 10 Feb
Great!!! Love thst it was so easy too!!!
Gina Vacanti-Hunter 30 Jan
Family liked it. Chicken super most and tender. The family asked for next time the chicken be breaded.
Melanie 27 Jan
Excellent! Will make it again.
Schumann 17 Jan
Meh, tasted like roasted chicken with a little bit of cheese and vinegar
Danielle Almeida 7 Jan
Amazing for a 30 min recipe...I love it!!
Kati B. 16 Dec 2018
Came out really good! Added avocado and it set it off perfectly!
Casey Shea 9 Dec 2018
Excellent!! Easy to cook and delicious
Marla G. 6 Dec 2018
I got so many oohs & aahs and "this looks like a fancy french restaurant" lol. Was super easy and I'm not kidding i kept hearing "mmm" throughout dinner from everyone! I did make two changes: added honey to the reduction and used cabbage leaves tossed in basil paste in place of basil leaves.
Carla Weiler 3 Dec 2018
this is so good! we made this with tenders as well.
Anna 5 Nov 2018
It was quite yummy, guess I put too much mozza because it ran all over the chicken but was ooey and gooey. I subbed garlic powder for actual garlic, so it was pretty flavourful. Only made the caprese chicken part, not the asparagus.
Poncho 4 Nov 2018
Recipe turned out great. I definitely will make it again. I cooked the chicken a little longer than recipe though. Even sent the instructions straight to my smart range.
Justin H. 24 Oct 2018
great chicken was very juicy good flavor and had it in oven longer cheese got a little brown
Damaris Guerra 24 Oct 2018
amazing! wasn't sure if the chicken had enough time to cook, but sure enough it did!
Sylvie 1 Oct 2018
Good, I would make it again
Danny 30 Sep 2018
Unbelievably easy and delicious
Shery D. 7 Sep 2018
whole family ate complete meal. served with garlic french rolls.
Alicia Jamieson 6 Sep 2018
it was good! easy to make
Nina Heinzen 5 Sep 2018
Chicken was tender and you can’t go wrong with basil, tomato, and mozzarella.
Hungry Hungry Hippos 1 Aug 2018
Really extra yummy. Could have done with a splash of citrus so next time I’m going to try with a little lemon!
Leigh 30 Jul 2018
I pounded the chicken first and this recipe turned out quite moist and tender with lovely flavor
Julia L. 27 Jul 2018
The flavors were good, but the cook times were funny. Baking the fresh mozzarella so long drew its water out and into the baking dish, leaving the cheese and the chicken rubbery. I'll wait until the end to add the cheese and tomatoes next time.
Lorraine 21 Jul 2018
Sucked. No flavor and I'm a chef. No way would I make this dish again. blah.
Lori M. 12 Jul 2018
Very nice flavor. I would make it again but next time will try smaller portions,
Claire Gagnon 8 Jul 2018
Good took longer to cook
Amanda H. 28 Jun 2018
This turned out amazing! My 7 and 5 year old devoured their entire plate!
Strain 14 Jun 2018
great! easy prep and good taste
Pat M. 12 Jun 2018
YUMMY! Next time, I will make a spread with softened butter, minced garlic and Italian seasoning - easier than brushing melted butter. The asparagus are wonderful and a great complement to the chicken.