Make a batch of these filling vegetarian breakfast burritos for a weekend brunch, then wrap and freeze the leftovers to enjoy throughout the week!
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup cilantro (loosely packed)
- 2/3 red bell pepper
- 2/3 yellow bell pepper (or green)
- 2/3 red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/4 cups canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the flour tortillas on top.
- Finely mince the cilantro and set aside. Finely dice the peppers and onion.
- Set a large skillet over medium high heat and pour in olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the peppers and onion.
- Cook the vegetables for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened and slightly browned. Add the black beans, cumin, coriander, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, continuing to stir, for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Divide an equal amount of the black bean and vegetable mixture onto the center of each flour tortilla.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Return the skillet to the stovetop and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is shimmering, pour the eggs into the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes, folding the eggs with a rubber spatula, until they are softly scrambled. Take care not to overcook the eggs. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Divide an equal amount of the eggs onto the center of each flour tortilla. Sprinkle an even amount of cheese and minced cilantro onto each burrito.
- Using clean hands, tightly roll each burrito, tucking in the sides to ensure the filling does not fall out. Place the burritos seam-side down onto the baking sheet.
- Bake the burritos for 9-12 minutes on the middle rack of oven, until heated through.
- Check to see that burritos are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Remove the burritos from the oven and serve immediately with salsa and sour cream, if desired. Leftover burritos may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or wrapped in plastic wrap or foil and frozen for 2 months.