Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Frizzled HamPork
This side dish, a refreshing twist on the usual steamed or roasted Brussels sprouts, would be delicious along side a holiday pork roast – but it’s just as nice with a weeknight pork chop. If you like, substitute bacon or sliced or shredded leftover pork for the ham.
- 6 slices ham (about 3 ounces, cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips)
- 1 3/4 pounds brussels sprouts (ends trimmed, outer leaves removed)
- 1 orange (large)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups shallots (thinly sliced, 8 to 10)
- 6 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- 2 teaspoons Balsamico Bianco (OR white wine vinegar)
- 1Working in batches, place the Brussels sprouts in the feed tube of a food processor fitted with a thin slicing disk and slice. (If you don’t have a food processor with a thin slicing disk, thinly slice the Brussels sprouts by hand.) Zest the orange, then squeeze 1/4 cup of orange juice (save any remaining orange for another use). Set Brussels sprouts, orange zest, and orange juice aside.
- 2In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisped and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer ham to a plate and set aside.
- 3Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Stir in the Brussels sprouts. Stir in the orange zest and orange juice and cook, stirring occasionally, until Brussels sprouts are tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pine nuts and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl, top with the ham, and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories210Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.