Tired of your usual breakfast options? Try shakshouka for a change of pace!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups tomatoes (crushed, peeled, canned)
- 2 cups yellow bell peppers (red and, chopped)
- 2 cups spinach (cooked and chopped)
- 1 small yellow onion (peeled)
- 2 teaspoons Calabrian chile oil
- chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- Cut ends off of onion, and slice in half. Cook onion on high heat directly over open flame stove or in a frying pan until the side facing the heat turns black and charred. Set aside until cooled, then chop into small pieces.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add spinach (if uncooked) and cover with lid. Cook 30 seconds and stir. Remove wilted spinach from pot and place onto a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Wipe out any water and heat canola oil over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers, onions, Calabrian chile oil and butter and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, 1 tsp. salt, cinnamon, cumin, and black pepper and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring.
- Fold spinach into the tomato mixture.
- Divide tomato mixture equally between 4 shallow oven safe dishes and place on baking sheet.
- Crack one egg into dish.
- Place in oven, uncovered, and bake for 18 and 20 minutes.
- Check to see that dish is done. Carefully remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Let cool slightly. Serve warm with chopped fresh cilantro and crumbled feta on top.
|Calories270Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.