Sericaia, or Portuguese Egg PuddingO Meu Tempero
Eggy sweets such as this pudding are a mainstay of Portuguese cooking. They are also designed to use what's already in your kitchen supply, for whipping up anytime and in case you have surprise guests. Here, the eggs are separated and the yolks mixed with milk that's been infused with lemon peel and a cinnamon stick and flour, which must be added exactly as instructed in the recipe for the smoothest consistency. Beaten egg whites are folded in to create a pudding with loft.
- 500 milliliters milk
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 6 eggs
- 250 grams white sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2Boil the milk with the lemon peel and cinnamon stick.
- 3Put the egg yolks in a bowl.
- 4Gradually add and whisk to form a whitish cream.
- 5Add 1 tablespoon of flour and mix well.
- 6Add the second tablespoon of flour and mix well.
- 7Add the third tablespoon of flour and mix well.
- 8Add the 3 tablespoons of flour left all at once, and mix well.
- 9Beat the egg whites stiff.
- 10Use a spatula to carefully and gradually mix the yolks in the batter.
- 11Add the milk, stirring well.
- 12Lower the heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- 13Pour in a clay bowl greased with butter and generously sprinkled with ground cinnamon.
- 14Bake for about 30 minutes, depending on the oven.
- 15If distributed in individual bowls, the time decreases.