Here's a bit of kitchen wisdom for home cooks who want to have options for improving the flavor of simple roasted meat, poultry, or fish, or even vegetables, with minimal time and effort: Use a flavored oil. This one adds dried onion and also cardomom seeds that are released from the pods (by crushing it with the side of a chef's knife or with a mortar and pestle). Allow the oil to sit for a couple weeks in a cool, dark place to allow the flavors to meld.
- 250 milliliters olive oil (homemade)
- 3 tablespoons onion (dried)
- 3 tablespoons cardamom
- Place the cardamom in a mortar and loosen the seeds.
- Combine the seeds with the onion and sprinkle with olive oil. Place in a jar and let it sit in a cool place for two weeks.
- Use for baking fish or meat in the oven.