- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 onions (medium, diced)
- 2 green bell peppers (diced)
- 3 celery (ribs, finely diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 4 quarts shrimp stock (crab stock or fish stock)
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning (blend)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds okra (chopped)
- 2 pounds medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 24 oysters (freshly shucked, liquor reserved)
- 1 pound lump crab meat (fresh, picked over for shells and cartilage)
- 1 tablespoon filé powder
- 8 cups long grain white rice (cooked)
- Heat oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour and stir constantly until a light brown roux is formed.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté until the onions become translucent and the vegetables are tender.