- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 slices bacon (coarsely chopped)
- 1 leek (pale section only, rinsed and thinly sliced)
- 1 red pepper (small, seeded and finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup fish stock
- 3 medium potatoes (medium, cut into 3/4-inch pieces)
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces cod fillets (cut into 3/4-inch pieces)
- 12 mussels (small, beards removed, scrubbed)
- 8 ounces corn kernels (drained)
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp (small)
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- garlic bread (to serve)
- Melt butter and oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium heat. Add bacon; cook and stir for 2-3 mins or until brown. Add leek and peppers; cook and stir for 3-4 mins or until soft.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add warm milk, whisking until smooth. Cook and stir for 2-3 mins or until thick and bubbling.
- Stir in stock, 1 cup water, potatoes and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cod and mussels. Cover and cook for 5 mins or until mussels open (discard any that don't open).
- Add corn, shrimp and parsley; cook and stir for 2-3 mins or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls. Serve at once with garlic bread.
|Calories500Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.