- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 200 grams butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (fine-grained)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla beans
- Sift flour and salt and set aside. Heat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat again, scraping the sides once or twice. Slit the vanilla bean (if using) and scrape out the paste and add into the mixer. Add half the flour and mix. Add the other half and stir until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Scoop the dough onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper (I use no. 100 ice cream scoop and place 9 balls on the pan). Flatten the balls with the back of a fork. Place the pan in the fridge for 5 minutes to firm the dough up before baking. Place the rest of the unused dough in the fridge while waiting.
- Bake the shortbread for about 12-15 minutes or until the bottom edges turn barely golden. Repeat for another batch.