Scones with Colorful SpreadsMarmita
These scones are just great on their own or slathered with clotted cream or plain cream cheese, according to tradition. But when you serve them with a colorful trio of cream cheese spreads, they are something else entirely. What gives these spreads their vibrant colors, and wonderful flavors, are assorted vegetables. For the beet and carrot spreads, the vegetables are each finely chopped in a food processor, while the arugula is ground up with a mortar and pestle (or also in the processor).
- 125 grams flour
- 15 grams butter
- 25 grams white sugar
- 50 milliliters milk
- 1 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 carrots
- 1/2 beets
- 375 grams cream cheese
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons arugula
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2Combine all scone ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix until the dough is well blended.
- 3Place spoonfuls of dough in a baking pan sprinkled with flour, leaving 3 fingers distance between each spoonful.
- 4Bake for about 15 minutes.
- 5Remove from oven, and cool on a cooling rack.
- 6For the carrot spread, grind the carrots in a food processor. Mix the ground carrot with 1/3 of the cream cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- 7For the beet spread, grind the beet in a food processor. Mix the groud beet with 1/3 of the cream cheese, season with salt and apple cider vinegar.
- 8For the arugula spread, grind the arugula in a mortar, add salt, a few drops of lemon, and 1/3 of the cream cheese and mix.
- 9Cut the scones in halves and serve with the 3 spreads.