Roasted strawberries, like all things roasted, take on a deeper, caramelized flavor, especially when they are first sprinkled with brown sugar, as in this recipe. You'll want to serve the sauce not just with these scones but as a topping for ice cream or a filling for updated strawberry shortcakes, among other delicious uses. The scones, of course, are also worth making, and here they are shaped into triangles for a refreshing change of pace.
- 200 grams strawberries (rinsed and quartered)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 275 grams flour
- 70 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams butter (cubed)
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- Combine the strawberries with the brown sugar and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 30 minutes. Cool.
- In a bowl, place the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest and mix well.
- Add the butter cubes at room temperature and using fingertips, incorporate into the flour mixture.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and milk. Mix to combine, taking care not to over work the dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface.
- Shape into a ball and flatten into a 3cm high disk.
- With a knife, cut the disk into 8 wedges.
- With a finger, make cavities in each scone and place roasted strawberry pieces into each.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with jams and butter.