- 1.5 liters vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 kilogram potatoes (floury, peeled and cut into chips)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 red pepper (deseeded and sliced)
- 1 yellow pepper (deseeded and quartered)
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 7 tablespoons plain flour
- 300 milliliters vegetable stock
- 1 pinch sweet paprika
- 4 pork steaks
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- 12 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat the vegetable oil to 325°F. Fry the potatoes in batches for 4-5 mins. Remove using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- To make the sauce, heat the sunflower oil in a saucepan, add the onions and peppers and sauté for 4-5 mins. Stir in the tomato paste and sauté for 1 min. Add 1 tbsp flour and mix well. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3-4 mins, stirring. Mix in the paprika and sugar and season with salt and pepper.
- Season the pork. Dip each steak with flour then dip in the egg, turning to coat. Press into the breadcrumbs. Heat the butter in a wide frying pan, add the schnitzel and fry, turning for 6-7 mins.
- Increase the temperature of the frying oil to 375°F. Fry the potatoes in batches for 2-3 mins until crisp and golden. Drain well and sprinkle with salt. Divide the fries and schnitzel between 4 plates and spoon the sauce on top. Serve.