Savory Shortbread, Three ways.On dine chez Nanou
Shortbread takes a savory turn in this recipe, with only a hint of sugar and three different mix-ins flavoring just one basic dough: dried rosemary, chopped radish tops, and lemon juice and seaweed. Buckwheat flour replaces half the regular flour for nutty flavor and a sturdier texture, all the better for supporting the suggested toppings. The shortbread keeps well at room temperature for up to a week in an airtight container.
- 320 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 4 pinches sugar
- 3 pinches salt
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg whites
- 450 grams all-purpose flour
- 50 grams buckwheat flour
- dried rosemary
- coarse sea salt
- 1With an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy, add salt and sugar.
- 2Mix until the mixture whitens. Add egg, egg white, beat until well incorporated.
- 3Add the flours and mix well until smooth.
- 4Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Farenheit).
- 5Divide dough into 3 balls.
- 6To the first ball, incorporate dried rosemary and a little bit of sea salt, kneading quickly.
- 7To the second ball, add chopped radish tops and coarse sea salt.
- 8To hte third ball, add the juice of half a lemon and some chopped seaweed.
- 9Roll out the dough into a lightly floured surface. Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutter or knife.
- 10Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 11Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- 12Once the shortbread is cooked, and cooled spread with green olive tapenade, top with cream cheese or cooked shrimp.
- 13Keep in an airtight container for one week.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1050Calories from Fat610|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat610|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.