A tasty addition to a holiday buffet. Or serve to your hungry sport fans for the next big gathering.
- 1 pound pork sausages
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (fine)
- 1/2 cup onions (minced)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup apple jelly
- 6 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/3 cup bourbon whiskey (OR apple juice)
- 2 teaspoons worchestershire
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In large bowl, using hands (Tip: wear disposable vinyl gloves) thoroughly combine sausage, pork, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, milk, ginger, pepper, cayenne, mace and allspice. Pat mixture evenly onto large piece of waxed paper, or directly onto counter top, to a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut into 96 squares, round each square gently and place in shallow rimmed baking pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until very lightly browned and until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Remove from baking sheets and reserve.
- Meanwhile, stir together jelly, mustard, bourbon, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce in large nonstick skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until jelly melts and mixture comes to a boil. Add meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Lower heat and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes until sauce thickens a bit and meatballs are coated.