Savory Rice with Turkey and Smoked SausageHoje para Jantar
These charming single serving casseroles make ideal family dinners or an offering for a casual dinner with friends. They're made by simmering a turkey leg in a flavorful mixture of bacon, wine, soy sauce, and chicken broth, which is then strained and used to cook the rice. Then the rice is layered in a baking dish with the chopped cooked turkey meat and then smoked sausage and baked to heat through.
- 1 smoked sausage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 150 grams bacon (diced)
- 600 grams turkey legs (cleaned, deboned, and cut into cubes)
- 200 milliliters wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups turkey stock (strained, plus water, if needed)
- 2 cups thai jasmine rice (or similar)
- salt (to taste)
- 1Chop sausage with a fork, and cook in a small saucepan with a little water.
- 2If time permits, steam sausage.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Heat olive oil in a saucepan and sauté garlic and chopped onion.
- 5Add diced bacon and fry for 5 minutes.
- 6Add turkey, wine, soy sauce, and chicken broth to pan.
- 7Simmer for at least 30 minutes until the turkey meat is soft.
- 8Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 9Strain the turkey pan sauce and reserve the strained broth to make the rice.
- 10Place the meat in a food processor and pulse once or twice to chop coarsely, but do not shred.
- 11Set aside.
- 12Measure out 4 cups strained broth and pour in a pan.
- 13Add water to strained broth, if needed to make 4 cups.
- 14Place rice and broth in a pan. Stir to separate the grains and season with a pinch of salt.
- 15Cook rice for about 12 minutes, stirring with a fork occasionally to loosen the grains.
- 16The rice should be loose and not too tender.
- 17Spread rice in a baking dish and cover with the meat.
- 18Mix with a spatula.
- 19Smooth the surface.
- 20Remove skin from the sausage, shred sausage with a fork and sprinkle in an even layer over rice.
- 21Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- 22Serve with a green lettuce and watercress salad, if desired.